Thursday 9 December 2010

Spanish Air Strike!

This past weekend was a big holiday weekend for all of Spain. Thousands and thousands of people had made travel plans, including myself! Upon arrival to Madrid on Saturday morning, I soon learned that all flights were going to be canceled for the day through-out all of Spain. This was caused due to air traffic controllers walking out of their job sometime on Friday afternoon. Shortly thereafter the government announced that Spain was in a state of alarm meaning that if the air traffic controllers did not go back to work, they would face criminal charges and jail time. Luckily, one of of my teammates parents live right close to the airport so they took me in for the night and brought me back to the airport the next day! There was one group of 30 people all going to Las Vegas for a wedding and they all missed it! A bunch of people that were shown on the news were people going to see their sick family members, so there were a lot of angry people for various reasons. Here is an article that was in USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2010-12-03-spain-airport-closures_N.htm. After spending some time in Germany, I returned to practice for Wednesday. A new gym recently opened up about 15 minutes from Oviedo in a town called Mieres. We have been practicing here and this is going to be our new home gym once it gets gas/hot water. It is brand new! There is no heating system, which is supposedly typical in Spain. A few of the gyms we have practiced/played in are freezing! There is a workout area as well with ellipticals and bikes which I am happy about because that's about all I can do right now! Only about 12 more days until I head to Mexico where I will be doing pool workouts in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment