Monday 27 December 2010

Mexico :)

Have been here in Mexico for about a week now. Took me about 31 hours to get here, but it was definately worth it. Had a few days to just enjoy some time with my parents, and my sister arrived here yesterday. Today, my aunt, uncle and two cousins arrived from San Fransisco. When I first landed in New York from my flight from Madrid it was so odd hearing English! I kept starting to speak in Spanish to people, and then would have to check myself. Upon arrival to Mexico, I have found that the Spanish here is different than in Spain. I think they speak a little clearer and slower here. There are some different phrases as well. On my cab drive from Hualtuco to Puerto Escondido I talked with my driver about the differences between languages. We also came across a road block, where there was a peaceful protest going on. I guess here in Mexico it is pretty common to have road blocks where there are problems between government and employees. We had to walk about 15 minutes across a bridge, where I caught another taxi. Luckily I had only brought carry ons, although I did have long pants on so I was pretty hot! Since I have been here we have been to some great restaurants on the beach overlooking the water, gone kyaking, snorkeling, and of course layed at the pool :) On Christmas Eve my parents and I were busy getting things ready for a parade in Chila. Chila is a small town about 15 minutes outside Puerto Escondido. For the last few years my father has worked with one of his friends(from Chila) to organize a Santa Clause parade. Many people, including myself, imagine a parade with many cars, or floats, and people watching as it drives by. Here it is Santa in the back of a pick up truck and as we drive around the town every starts to follow. Every once and a while the driver will stop so Santa can throw out candy and at the end of the drive, everyone gets a chance to sit on his lap for pictures that my dad takes. When my dad has time, he will develop all of the pictures to hang up in the town pharmacy, where people can take their own picture. Also, a few women worked all day to make 720 Tomales for the town to eat after the parade. I got to see some of the process, which made me not want to eat one, but I still did. They cut of the chickens feet, and then cut off the nails, and then the feet actually go in the Tamale. It seemed to me that the town and especially the kids really enjoyed it. It was a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment