Sunday 15 May 2011

As the year comes to an end...

The last few weeks have flown by pretty fast, and now on May 15th, there are only five days left until the Final Four. About a week ago we found out that we will definately be playing the three games in Logroño which is about four hours East of us. For those who have kept up with my blog, that area is where I went with my sister and friends back in March. It is the wine country, and a lot of people have already said that one good thing about the Fase (Final Four) being there is that it is a great place to celebrate if we win! The picture on the left is one of the promotion cards for the tournament, with the schedule below. The top two teams from our group, us and Salamanca, and then the top two teams from the other group will all play each other, and the team that has the best record will move up to Liga 2 the next year. I am practicing now and doing most drills and it feels great to be getting back on the court. I cannot believe that it has almost been 4 months since the surgery (May 19th, will mark 4 months). I played for a few minutes in our last league game just to see how it felt. When I got subbed in for my first game since November 15th, the first thing that happened was that there was a techincal foul on the other teams coach, and my coach chose me to shoot the free throws before I had even played. I missed the first one unfourtunately, made the second, but I will always remember that as the first "play" after my time being injured. I made a couple three´s, and missed a few, including a nice air ball! This past Tuesday the government of Mieres recognized our team for winning the University Championships. Mieries is where we practice, so I guess that is why they recognized us. The picture above is outside the Town Hall of Mieres. My teammates Lara and Carol will be interviewd tomorrow on the televesion as well. My kids team just had their last game yesterday and the parents organized a big team lunch with all the parents and kids after. It was at a really nice restaurant and we had a whole room to ourself which was good because the kids are crazy! The parents all had gotten 4th place trophies and medals for the kids since we finished 4th out of 12 teams. The kids made me a shirt, got me big Asturian book in English so that I could show my family, and a nice picture :) I am thankful to have had such great and supporting parents for my first coaching experience. I never had one problem with any of them! I also printed out one action shot for each of the girls that Meredith had taken while she was here, and made them say one thing in English in front of everyone. The best phrase was Olaya when she said, "Casey you are the queen of the world!!!" Hahaha. There was a big play area outside, and the picture to the left is of me and most of the team in there. I was with all the parents and kids for about 8 hours yesterday! A lot of Spanish, and a lot of good food and drinks! We talked a lot about the cultural differences between the United States and Spain, one of which was living at home. Here in Spain it is completely normal to live at home until you are 30, where as I explained in the United States  you were expected to live on your own soon after graduation frorm college. Many of them didn´t realize I was only 22 so they were really suprised when they found that out! We didn´t have practice yesterday or today, so last night I went out for some Sidra with some of my teammates. You can see the picture on the right with me and a few bottles! We will practice this week and then leave for Logroño on Thursday afternoon where we will stay until Sunday! After that I will be heading back to the United States of America!!!!! I cannot wait to eat peanut butter, bagels and cream cheese, Dunkin Donuts coffee, Starbucks Frapuccinos, and hear English all the time! 

1 comment:

  1. nice update! "I also printed out one action shot for each of the girls" - you're welcome!

    I like the "queen" comment, true in their eyes I'm sure, and I assume you deserve it...

    ReplyDelete