Saturday 30 April 2011

Campeonato de España -- Spanish University Champions!

Cathedral in Leon
Hola, from Oviedo! I just got back yesterday from Leon where I was staying with my team for the past week. We played four games in the last five days, and we have our last league home game tonight, so our fifth game in six days! We ended up winning the University Championships in Leon, which is the first time that the women´s team has won in many years! We beat two teams from Madrid, one from Salamanca, and one from Barcelona in order to win the championship. We won the semi-final game on Thursday by 3 points, but won the final by 20! Today´s game is a derby against Aviles, which is just a 20 minute drive away. We only have two more league games left and we have already won the league. The only thing left is to win the Fase to be able to move up to Liga 2 which we are all working towards!

Celebrating after the Finals with the Asturian flag
Team comida after the win
In the city with the team!
Leon was a very nice city and we had a chance to explore on our evenings off. The catherdral is beautiful, and supposedly one of the top 3 in Europe. There were 12 men´s teams and 12 women´s teams all staying in two hotels, so there was a great basketball environment. A lot of the teams there it seemed just came to party, as many teams went out drinking on game nights, including a few of the teams we played against and ended up beating by 20! Better for us :) On the men´s side a University from Barcelona ended up winning it all. A good number of people were able to drive down on Friday for the final since Leon is only an hour and a half south-east of Oviedo so that was nice. After the game, we went out into the city and celebrated with big lunch in the sun were I got a little burnt! After tonights game we have a team dinner and we will probably go out into the city to again, celebrate winning the gold medal! Our team only played with 8 players throughout the last five days, and I was not able to play. I am starting to do the warm-ups before the games, jogging, and shooting :) Everyone is pretty tired after this week, but I am sure we will do well tonight!  I had a game with my kids team this morning, which we won 56-5! I felt kind of bad for the other team, but we were´t pressing or anything, we were just a lot better! It is pretty rainy here in Oviedo, so I hope it gets sunny here soon! April flew by, and I cannot believe that it is already May! Three more weeks until the Final Four, which I hope I will be able to play in. I am pretty sure that I will start practicing this week, so we will see how the knee feels. We are supposed to have a reception in the next coming week with the president of the Unviersity to celebrate winning the championship! Overall this has been a great experience, and I cannot wait to be back on the court again!!

1 comment:

  1. Now you've had two championships in your career:
    1. Fairbanks, Alaska Middle Schools (Ryan)
    2. Campeonas de Espana Universitarias

    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete