Friday 25 March 2011

Spring is here!

I am getting really bad at updating this thing! Lets see here since the last time I blogged, we have won two games, one home and one in Lugo. We are now 20-0. I am still not running yet, but doing elliptical, bike, and pool workouts. I still coach my kids team, and have been trying to get them to tell me one thing in English each day, usually they just say "hello" or "t-shirt" haha. Yesterday I was asked to speak to some students for an annual "Mujeres y Deportes" (women and sports) round table discussion. There were about 8 females who played various sports such as soccer, karate, mountain climbing, etc. I always forget that I was lucky to have Title IX growing up playing sports. I personally believe that there is not an equal amount of sports team between women and men here in Spain. After each of us athletes spoke to the kids, it was time for questions. Some asked me about the light in Alaska, and one girl asked me if I miss my family back in Alaska. My response was, well actually they are all over the world right now too! Well, my sister Robin is in Fairbanks, but my dad is in Mexico, and my mom is in Australia. The weather has been getting very Springy here. Sunny enough, that I got burnt the other day! For the last month or so the team has been doing a little extra workout before practice with our trainer David. Since the season is so long we kind of have two preseasons. Now they are getting some extra running in to be in to shape for the final tournament at the end of May, and for the finals for the Universitarios at the end of April. Above is a picture of some us doing partner biceps! Last weekend I also went and saw my first Liga 2 game which is the League above us. The competion was definatley way better than our league, but I think our team could compete with them. They had some very good American post players too that were strong and huge! Here in Oviedo there is also a Carnival weekend which is basically like Halloween. Everyone dresses up and goes out. A couple of my teammtes were avatar, some pipi longstocking, some rugby players. I didn´t dress up or go out, becuase I am not supposed to walk around too much on my knee. The other picture is after a game on the evening of Carnival. The little boy was my teammate Tina´s friends son. He dressed up like a clown with his parents and it was SO cute. Here is a picture that I took of my teammates before they went into the city. This weekend we have a home game, and I have two games with my kids! I can´t wait until it is warm enough to go to the beachhh.

1 comment: