Thursday 22 September 2011

San Mateo, Perros, y Cafes!

San Mateo Street Entertainment
Plaza de la Catedral
Heading to see Trasto's parents
Trasto & his parents reuniting!
For the last few weeks I have just been getting back into the swing of things & readjusting to living in Spain. One of the things I missed most about Spain, and Europe in general is all of the street cafes. I love people watching and I really enjoy the coffee here, so I have spent a lot of time at different cafes, with teammates and alone. As a matter of fact I went to my favorite one last night to use the Wifi and watch both the Real Madrid and Barcelona soccer games. As of now, I don't have a lot to do during the day(we usually practice in the evenings), and neither does my good friend, Lara. I have been running around with her exploring Oviedo, Aviles, and Gijon. I am planning on tutoring kids in English throughout the week, and I have a few families that have "hired" me to start in October, so I am looking forward to that. I am also coaching my same kids team 3 days a week, and we only have two new girls so that has been fun coaching them again :) This whole week has been San Mateo, although I remember the weather being a little bit warmer last year! There are tons of street vendors, and concerts every night in the Plaza with the huge cathedral. I bought a new camera, before I left so I have been having fun playing with that, and learning how to use it. I have uploaded a few of my favorite pictures onto Facebook...Practice has been going well, and we have some new young talent this year that I am looking forward to playing with! We had our first scrimmage in Aviles on Saturday and we won by about 20. Tomorrow, we play a team from Liga 2, and on Saturday we have another scrimmage. Our regular season won't start until mid October. I just got back from Gijon, with a few of my teammates. We went to get ice cream from this place called Regma, that is on the beach and it is seriously the best ice cream ever! Only 3 Euros for a double scoop, and I got mocha :) I did feel kind of sick after because I ate it so fast it was melting all over me! We all stood hunched over stuffing our faces for a good 3 minutes, when I realized I was in front of an office window and a man was staring at me dying laughing....meanwhile I had ice cream all over my hands, face, and the ground below me. My teammate Patri, recently bought a golden retriever puppy and his name is Trasto, which means naughty in Spanish. He is so adorable! We brought him with us to Gijon, and then we stopped by the breeders house so he could see his parents. There aren't many actual houses where I live in Oviedo, but this was more in the country you could say, and it was a gorgeous house! I took a picture as Lara, Andrea, Patri, and Trasto were walking down the driveway. So neat how old somethings are here! It was so cute to watch them all run around in a little family, and made me want a dog even more! You could tell the people really loved dogs, and took good care of them, and didn't just do it for the money...One thing I have noticed in Spain is that there are hardly any mixed dogs. All are pure breds. I have also noticed that many people fail to pick up their dogs doo doo on the streets!!! I have been lucky, or attentive enough to not step in any yet...Patri, was not so lucky, as she stepped in a large one right before we left for Gijon. The last picture is in Gijon, after the ice cream! As you can tell, I am enjoying taking black and white photos recently :) Hope everyone has a great weekend coming up! Ciao

1 comment: