Thursday 21 October 2010

Hannibal Lecter

We won our game in Santander last Saturday 67-43. It was a pretty close game up until the 4th quarter, and then we kind of took off. I was not able to play because of my knee. I had a doctor's appointment this past Tuesday and he said I could run on Wednesday(yesterday) for 20 minutes on the track, and if that didn't hurt 30 minutes on Thursday, and then try to practice on Friday. I don't think I have ever been happier to run in my life! My knee was a little sore, which is expected since I have literally done nothing for the past 11 days. It feels pretty good today. This whole injury thing is making me appreciate being healthy a lot more. Watching practices and games for the past couple weeks I have just been thinking, what I would give to be able to sprint or cut like that right now! Something new for me, but I suppose my patience is being tested in certain ways. The picture is from the game in Santander and the tall girl on the end with blond hair is my German teammate who cannot play right now either because the Spanish Federation has not approved her letter of clearance from the German team she played for last year.

This weekend we face Covipro San Isidro at home on Saturday. I do not think I will be able to play in this game either, and they are second place in our league right now(2-1) so it is kind of a big game! Hopefully I can play for a little bit, depending on my knee. It has been getting pretty cold here during the nights, but the days have been really sunny. I took my camera to class on Tuesday and this picture is of my campus where my class is. This part of campus is all the way across the city so I have to take a 15 minute bus ride to class each day. I could walk, but it would take about 25 minutes, and I haven't yet with my knee like this.

Speaking of it getting cold, I almost always like to wear flip flops when I am wearing athletic clothes. Being from Alaska, it has not been that cold here, so I have continued to wear my flip flops when I can. Here, they are called chanclas, and my team always makes fun of me for wearing them, and think I am crazy for wearing them when it is a little chilly out. I tried to explain how cold it gets in Alaska, and we did some calculations to calculate what 50 below translates to Celcius. They were pretty shocked, and then I uploaded this photo onto Facebook so they could see what I used to run in! This pictures is from my Senior year in high school I when my cross country running team was training for Nike Team Nationals in 20 below weather. The ice on my eye lashes and mouth is from my breathe freezing! I sure do look pretty happy! After seeing this picture, they all were like "Now we understand why you wear chanclas and why you eat ice cream when it is cold out!" They also started calling me Hannibal Lector.... As you can see there is some similarities in the picture. This past week I found a nice little bar to watch some of the soccer games in right around the corner from where I live. Turns out the owner has been to Alaska and loved it. He wears a pin on his shirt every day that is from a Native Village in Alaska. He whipped out his laptop and started showing me all the places he has been in Alaska. Small world!

1 comment:

  1. New nickname: "Hanny". I like it!

    And "This whole injury thing is making me appreciate being healthy a lot more." Never forget it, and do everything humanly possible for prevention...

    ReplyDelete